The Oregon state fire marshal has determined that an unusual combination of alcohol-based hand rub (ABHR), olive oil, and static electricity likely caused an accidental fire that injured a patient at a Portland children's hospital. ASHE sent an issue brief and subsequent update to members last week about this issue. ASHE recommends that members review their facility's policies on the use of ABHRs to ensure that appropriate precautions (proper ventilation, locating hand rubs away from ignition sources, etc.) are being taken. Facility managers should also review patient access to ABHRs and inform staff of potential hazards associated with ABHRs. ASHE recommends that staff members keep an eye on patients and visitors to make sure ABHRs are being used only as intended. If your facility is making changes after this incident or you have suggestions on improving safety regarding ABHRs, visit the ASHE Blog to share your thoughts with other ASHE members.